Nelden-Roberts Stonehouse
 
 

Nelden-Roberts Stonehouse,

501 Route 206 North, Montague, NJ


Visit this historic stone house from the early 1800’s. It is named for George Nelden who settled in Montague in 1820, and for the Roberts family who also later owned the farm across the road. Over the years, it has served as a home to many families, but for a period it also served as a schoolhouse, with quarters for the teacher on the second floor. The house still sports its original wide-wood plank flooring, fireplace, and deep windows. Many items on display from earlier times help to visualize life in the area during the 19th century. Be sure to visit the herb garden.